A quick and super tasty weekday stir-fry!
- 2 chicken breast fillets, diced and spiced with your favourite chicken seasoning
- 500gr baby potatoes, skin on, washed
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced (about 2mm)
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- fresh coriander, finely chopped
- fresh chives, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the baby potatoes for about 20 minutes in salted water until just cooked. Drain and set aside until slightly cooled. Halve if necessary for bite size pieces.
- In the meantime dice the chicken and cover with the seasoning, prep the vegetables and herbs
- Preheat a wok on high heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and stir-fry the cubed chicken a couple of minutes until browned
- Add the fennel, baby potatoes, garlic and spring onions and stir-fry for another 5 minutes. Add a couple of tablespoons of water if needed
- Add coriander, chives, season with salt and pepper and serve!
What worked and what didn’t:
When I came across a couple of recipes with stir-fried fennel this weekend, I decided to give it go with the chicken and baby potatoes I already had at home.
I really like fennel and its mild licorice flavor and crunchy texture when raw. However, when fennel is cooked its flavor becomes more delicate, slightly sweetish, and the texture softens, so I tried to keep a slight crunch on the fennel for maximum flavour/texture combination.
The sweetness of the fennel really went well with coriander and paprika based chicken seasoning. The potatoes gave the dish some more body and I sprinkled over some leftover Gruyèere cheese from my onion soup recipe. Very nice indeed and ready in 30 minutes (or less).
Verdict: 8/10; Will be made again